Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Tuesday afternoon, we also took a drive to Monte Cassino, an old abbey that was bombed in WWII, and subsequently rebuilt by the Americans. If they can build such beautiful abbeys in Italy, why can't they in the USA?
The sign says that the abbey is 8 kilometers away, it didn't say that they are all uphill!


There were a total of 8 turns to get to the top of the mountain and the abbey. They are hairpins turns!

Here we are after we parked the car in the shade and paid 2 Euros ($2.40) for parking. Abbey in the background.

 Entrance, almost to the abbey. Again, all uphill!
The view from the abbey. The road we took is at the base of the mountain we are looking at! I was getting a little afraid of heights as I drove up, so I kept my eyes on the road!


 Another gorgeous view - once you got to the top, and entered, there were a series of courtyards, including this one. I am taking the picture from the top of a staircase that leads to another courtyard in front of the church within, dedicated to Saints Benedetto e Scolastica.




 Chairs, not pews.



Another gorgeous Italian church, marble and gold and incredible workmanship!
This is the view of the Polish Military cemetery for all the Polish war victims.

Lo and behold at this beautiful abbey in the heart of Italy is my friend Diana, who I taught with in Hudson!! We planned to meet, as she was staying with family an hour south and I am an hour north. It was so nice to see her and her dad! So many of my friends and family are in Italy this summer - it's just amazing. It really made my day! 


No comments:

Post a Comment